9.18.2008

um...why?

So Nick and I decided before we even got pregnant that were not going to do a nursery in our spare room. We like having room for guests...we don't want to spend the money...and seriously, the kid won't know the difference! We are just going to get rid of the "office" side of the room and put a nice pack-n-play and glider in there...then when she's outgrown the crib, she can have the guest bed and we'll put those cool rail thingies on there so she doesn't fall out of the bed...
Apparently Nick's co-workers are not keen on this idea and have told him it's "dumb" and "weird". He even told them it was his idea and not mine (which I did bring it up) so they would think he's the weirdo and not me. :)
But seriously, why do they care? We're saving money--I mean, I just finished decorating the guest room before our little surprise came along--and saving time.
I don't know why this is bothering me so much (hormones and lack of sleep perhaps?)...I just wanted to toss my "why" out there...

8 comments:

Nate Eagles Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 8:16:00 AM PDT  

You forgot the most important reason... Where would your homeless friends sleep if you turn the guest room into a nursery?!!?

Amber Flinn Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 12:29:00 PM PDT  

Well I thought it was a great idea! I mean come on...the kid's memory won't even kick until 4 or 5. So who cares if she doesn't have a baby specific decorated bedroom. And besides most people spoil their kids anyway. More importantly, where will Tommy and I sleep when we have a slumber party at the Flies home?

Melissa Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 12:38:00 PM PDT  

Max (our surprise baby) slept in our closet for the first three months. :)

I think it's quite wise and admirable, actually, for you to do that. Don't let the materialism of our culture sway you from your decision. :)

alan and steph Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 2:40:00 PM PDT  

amen sista!!!
Sincerly,
one of your favorite house guests :)

Nate and Natalie Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 8:29:00 PM PDT  

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Especially since you'll be saving money and I wouldn't be surprised if you have a lot of visitors seeing your precious baby girl :)

Angela Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 1:31:00 PM PDT  

Melissa is right--don't let the materialism of our culture change your mind! I think you are being very practical. The love you have for your baby girl and the manner in which you raise her is what's important--not the style of crib and the paint color in her room!

nealy Monday, September 22, 2008 at 7:54:00 AM PDT  

I'm sure that would work -- most people say babies will end up sleeping in the parents bedroom for awhile anyway! The baby wouldn't know the difference!

We are in a similar predicament -- our house only has 2 bedrooms, and right now one is my office/guest room.

We have decided to make it a nursery, and keep a hide-a-bed in there for guests (assuming everything fits)! Then, we will have to move the office to a corner of our kitchen or dining room!

Good luck -- I'm sure whatever you do the baby will be happy!

Kiki Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 8:43:00 AM PDT  

We're making a guest room/ baby room. But, we just moved in and haven't decorated it at all yet. And we don't plan on buying a crib mattress until the baby outgrows the bassinet that a friend let us borrow. In fact, we're supposed to be painting this weekend...

And we're decorating in such a way as to remove all signs of baby and have it just be a guest room.

I think you're making a great decision.

Kristy Steffen (from ISU, Drew Steffen's wife)

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP