7.22.2009

Good Book(s)

Most people know I LOVE to read. Just about anything and everything. Educational, autobiographical, fictional, historical...you name it (except those weird romance novels, sci-fi and gory books...no thank you) :)
I am always on the look out for a good book and would LOVE to hear any recommendations you might have. I decided that I'm going to try and tell you about some of my favorites each week...if not every other week :) Granted, I know everyone has different taste you you may not like some of the books I talk about, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! How BORING would it be if we all like the exact same thing??
So I have 2 books I'd like to share with you :)
I read The Time Traveler's Wife about a year and a half ago. My sister in law, Steph, had been reading it and I spotted it in her bag and it looked good so I checked it out. I loved it. At first, it's a little odd because it's a weird concept, but after a bit I started to really enjoy it.
I read it again right before Adelyn was born and I still loved it. I saw that they are coming out with a movie version of it, and of course I'm annoyed because the movies are hardly ever as good as the books.
ANYWAY....the basic plot of the book is about the guy who has a genetic disorder that causes him to time travel. He has no control over when it happens or where he goes....and nothing goes with him, so he always winds up naked wherever he travels to. He meets his wife this way and basically meets her as a little girl and follows her through her childhood, adolescence and college years until they date and get married. He goes back and forth between the present, past and even future. Like I said, it's sort of a difficult concept to grasp at first....
This is the authors debut book...I haven't read anything else by her yet, but I think I'll have to look into it. :)




Okay, so the second really isn't a book, it's a series and I LOVED them! Sophie Kinsella (also known as Madelein Wickham) is one of my favorite fiction writers. I love her style...it's so fun and light. The shopaholic books (again, I think the movie was an absolute BUST compared to the books...not even close) follow a main character, Becky Bloomwood. She's addicted to shopping and it follows her through dating, meeting a sister, getting married and having a baby. I know I'm not doing this justice, but they are so funny! The first time I read them, I actually got REALLY frustrated at her because it was like "just stop shopping already!!". Sophie does a great job taking you into Becky's mind and what is going through her thoughts when she's shopping (and trying not to shop) and you really see you she starts to grow up...okay...really just at least go to your library and read the first book.... :)

0 comments:

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP