6.06.2010

laundry experiment


I quit using fabric softener about a month ago because Adelyn's eczema was getting worse. Last week it got so bad her skin was RAW and blistering. I finally took her to our dermatologist to make sure that's what it was in the first place. They recommended a few things and prescribed a cream. I didn't use everything they recommended, but I did use the cream for 2 days and her skin is 100% better and I haven't had to use it since. Cetaphil and Aquaphor are still a nightly routine, though ;)
ANYWAY...I have been using Tide free and gentle since before Adelyn was born b/c I couldn't stand the perfumes anymore...but after I stopped using the fabric softener, our clothes were coming out of the dryer wrinkled and I could definitely feel a difference in the cloth too. I started researching alternatives so we could get some wort of softness back in our clothes. There are SO MANY opinions and recommendations out there that I was on overload...so I went back to some basics.
I had heard that vinegar and/or baking soda are a good alternative, so I found a "recipe" that combined them both (4c water, 2c baking soda, 2c vinegar)...I'm also trying vinegar solo right now and then I'm going to compare and see which one I like best :)
I'm sure people have more ideas, so let me know what you have found that works...

(If you are curious, I'm not ready to start making my own laundry detergent. I don't quite trust that the homemade stuff will get my clothes clean enough)

2 comments:

roni bergugnat Monday, June 7, 2010 at 9:26:00 AM PDT  

Hello,
My son had eczema from birth and I used Eubos bath oil (rub into skin 5 mins before bath, pour 1 capful into bath, no rinsing required). After towel dry, apply some olive oil onto skin. Worked like a dream!
Lucas is going to be 3 soon and I still use Eubos and olive oil whenever his eczema flares up.

Angela Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 10:55:00 AM PDT  

Hi, Abby!

When Elliana was a couple months old she started having some spots of eczema appear. We were trying all the creams and lotions, but nothing helped. More and more spots kept appearing until, by the time she was 7 months old, she had eczema covering her whole body. At the beginning of the year we decided to attempt treating her eczema from within through chiropractic care. We began seeing improvement immediately; and now, five months later, her skin is silky smooth and almost completely free of eczema! I can't tell you how good it feels to know that we have gotten to the root of her problem and that we have even set her up for better health in the coming years. If you guys are interested in trying the same approach, Dr. Mike (LaBounty Family Chiropractic) is great--and he is located just down the street from you guys. If you go, tell him I referred you and you'll get a discount on her first visit.

I look forward to hearing the conclusion of your laundry experiment! :-)

Love,
Angela

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP