1.31.2012

zig zag lamp how to

I wasn't planning on posting a tutorial for this last minute project, so I have no before pictures and no "in the process" pictures.
After alot of painters tape and alot of irritation, I figured out a method that worked for me.
First go around, I printed off a zig zag stencil from here. I thought I would follow this tutorial and translate it to the lamp shade...
well, the shape of the shade made that darn near impossible {although, I do think it would work for a more uniform shade, like a drum shade}.
I realized I was going to have to "free form" it because I didn't want to mark on the shade at all.
I used the seems of the shade as my marker for where I wanted the points to line up.
I tore a piece of painter's tape {I had 1" thickness on hand, so that's what I used} and placed it where I wanted at the angle I thought would work.
I marked where I would need to cut it with a pen, cut it, then repeated.
 I did that the whole way around...it took about 20 minutes total to get it all taped.
Obviously, the angles weren't perfect, but I think for how small the shade is, it's fine.
I also marked off the edges around the top and bottom of the shade with tape b/c I didn't want to paint those.
Then I took it outside, gave it a few light coats of spray paint {Champagne Mist by Rustoleum}
and wallah! I was pretty stoked with how it turned out.
BTW...the lamp itself is painted Rustoleum Gloss White.
A little extra tips, make sure that the tape is pressed down really well before you spray paint. I actually didn't have any paint seep through, which I was pretty pumped about.
Do a few light coats of paint to keep paint from dripping and messing up your shade.
I hope this helps. You are more than welcome to email or comment if you have any questions :)
Stay tuned for a post on all the new changes I made to Addy's room ;)
including this other lamp::
{the inspiration for my small table lamp :)}
ps....if you missed this recipe I posted....check it out....SO yummy :)


1 comments:

Table Lamps Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 7:01:00 AM PST  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP