2.22.2012

homemade fruit roll up...flop

I found this recipe on pinterest last week and was all over it. We had a ton of strawberries in the deep freeze from last season and they needed to be used pronto.
We don't have a dehydrator (yet), so I went the oven route.
Unfortunately, I tried it twice and both times they were mushy in the middle and crisp on the edges. Classic signs of too high of a temperature.
The problem is, our gas oven won't allow a setting below 170F. Boo.
 I looked online...oven temps for food dehydrating should be around 140F. Double Boo.
I'll share the experience anyways because I took pictures with my new lens I got for christmas {I luuurve it...thanks, Mom!} and want to share because it was quite fun {and SO easy!}  :)


Step one::assemble ingredients: 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 2 cups strawberries {seriously...that's it...and we doubled it because we had plenty of berries}
Step two::enlist 3 year old to help out and dump ingredients into blender
Step three:: let said 3 year old work the blender...catch picture of her face the minute she presses down :)
blend until smooth
Step four::pour onto baking sheet lined with wax paper
Step five::let 3 year old spread with spatula to her hearts content :)
{make sure it's a little thicker at the edges since that tends to bake the quickest}
Step six::pause for "photo shoot"...someone discovered she can roll her tongue ;)
Step seven::put into preheated oven for 8-ish hours {until fruit is pliable and smooth}
Ours was more of a lovely crispness ;)
BTW, cinnamon strawberries is the most yummy aroma...our house smelled delicious for 2 days.
The great thing about this is that I'm sure you can use just about any fruit/veggie under the sun. I'm quite excited about this.
I'm definitely going to do this as soon as a dehydrator is in my possession :) I will let you know how it turns out!
If you try this and it works, let me know! I would love to hear about it :)








1 comments:

andrea Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 4:47:00 PM PDT  

oooo i'm going to have to try this! and adelyn is so pretty!

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP