12.26.2008

a topic revisited


Recently I have been asked by a few people what my vendeta against Santa is. First of all, nothing.
Apparently more people read my blog that I realized....and the santa blog apparently has hit alot of nerves....
After re-reading the blog post, I realize I came across a little crass and I feel the need to explain things a little better and little more gently :)
Let me start by saying I do not want to debate. Let us raise our children. I do not intend to try and change your opinion if you think differently. I do not intend to shake my fist at you and say "you are wrong about this". I don't want this to become a huge topic for us. If you want to tease us LOVINGLY about it, that's fine... :) We aren't the only ones who aren't going to teach our kids to believe in Santa....nor will we be the last...I guess I've just been more vocal about it than others and that means I get to take the hits from those who disagree :)
Neither Nick nor I will ever tell another child that is not ours there is no Santa. We will teach our children not to run around exclaiming to other kids how there is no Santa. That is not our place....nor our responsibility.
In the topic of Santa....we intend to be honest. When our kids are old enough to raise the subject, we will answer truthfully....no, he does not exist, but there was a man like Santa a long time ago and he evolved into a story character. If they still want to pretend that there is a Santa Clause who lives in the North Pole with his elves...we aren't going to crush them completely (I mean seriously people, I get it...they're kids!), but neither are we going to pretend along with them and say "yes, Santa is bringing you presents tonight, but only if you are good".
We are going to teach Christ first...above the whole Santa thing. We would not have Christmas without Christ. He is the reason for our life. Without His sacrifice of becoming flesh so He could die for ME....there would be no point. It's not about having religion or simply recognizing that Christmas represent Jesus' birthday.....even Satan does that!(I can't remember what verse in scripture that comes from...someone help me out, please??) It's believing that Christ is our Savior and striving to live every day for Him. That is want we want to remember EVERY DAY, not just during Christmas time.
I also understand that there is a special "magic" feeling about Christmas time...I get the excitement for it too! I don't see anything wrong with that and I don't want it to be a somber time for my kids either......
This is getting harder and harder to explain :) I guess all I can say is we aren't being "scrooges", Nick and I love Christmas....I love everything about it....but this is how we want to teach our kids...and I understand that how we want to do it and how it actually pans out when the time comes may be 2 completely different things :) kids are wonderful that way. :)
Anyway....I don't know what else to say. I hope this makes a little more sense. I'm half to tears by now b/c I really want y'all to understand that I'm not trying to be mean or in your face about this at all...I was just venting in my last blog and came across rather badly and I am so sorry for that.

0 comments:

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP