11.24.2008

what? no santa?

So a few weeks ago at work, it was change of shift and we were sitting at the nurses station talking. I don't know how, but we got on the subject of Santa Clause. I started telling everyone how last year, we were eating dinner for Christmas Eve at my mom's and my step siblings were all there. Someone made the comment to my step-neice that she needed to go to bed early or Santa wouldn't come.....I completely forgot that some people still "trick" their kids into thinking Santa exists and I said "too bad he's not real"....the look I got from my step siblings was sheer death....it's a good think Lily didn't hear me or I would've really been in trouble.
After relaying the tale, I stated, "Nick and I are not going to let our kids believe there is a Santa...or Easter bunny...or tooth fairy....but more importantly, no Santa". Immediately everyone starts with "what?!" "grinch!" "seriously?!". I grew up not believing in any of those things. We never went trick or treating for Halloween....we had maybe 2 easter egg hunts, but never did easter baskets....my parents never told us there was a santa or tooth fairy....I don't know if they wanted to be realistic or didn't want to deal with 4 kids on a sugar high :) I then go on to explain that why would I want to deceive my kids into believing that there is a Santa only for them to find out later it's not true? Christmas is not about Santa...it's about Christ. Immediately some get defensive saying "well, I have religion in my life". I respond "it's not about religion, it's about faith and Christ". Well right then, call lights start going off and we have to get to work......
Later someone asked, "what if your kids spoil it for other kids whose parents are letting them think there's a Santa?" I answered that it's not my job nor my place to let down kids who believe in Santa. I'll teach my kids that some kids will believe in Santa, but they are not allowed to tease them....it's not the kids' fault, how could they know any better? The rest we'll make up as it comes....but I don't want to take away from what Christmas or Easter really mean.
Since then there hasn't been much else discussion....every once in a while someone will make a comment about it, like "but there's not santa, right?" or "keep your kids away from abby, she'll spoil the fun"....I know they are half joking, half serious....but it doesn't really bother me much. I guess we'll see what other conversations come up. :)

4 comments:

Nate and Natalie Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 10:27:00 AM PST  

I couldn't agree more with your post. Nate and I are going to tell Elyse who Santa is so she doesn't feel dumb when other kids talk about him, but we won't celebrate or acknowledge him during Christmas. Why? Because Christmas is about Jesus' birthday, not a fat man in a red suit!

Leah Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 7:24:00 PM PST  

Craig and I aren't parents... but when we are, we certainly don't plan on deceiving our kids. No reason to lie about Santa... it wouldn't benefit them in any way. You're going to be great parents. Congratulations. -Craig & Leah Seydel

Reed Allen Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 7:12:00 PM PST  

It seems like you think Santa is someone who just brings presents so a kid can get even more spoiled. I guess since apparently your parents never "let" you believe in Santa you were never told by your parents that Santa represents the spirit of giving that Christ perpetuated throughout his entire life. Santa is representative of a child-like faith that we should have as believers in Christ. It's also a way for a kid to be a kid and to exercise their imagination. What are you going to tell your little girl if she has an imaginary friend? It's the same concept. I understand that you want to be honest with your children and I am by no means telling you how to be a parent because I'm not one, but I can guarantee you that if your kids ruin it for either my kids, my nephew, or any of your other cousins kids, people will be very upset. VERY upset.

Anonymous,  Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 3:06:00 PM PST  

As you know, we DO have several kids of "Santa" age, and we DON'T lie to them about Santa. I want to encourage you to stick with your convictions. God gives you those, and they aren't to succomb to others' way of thinking. Personally, we tell our children about the history of Santa, what he stands for and how the beliefs have progressed over time. But I am a FIRM believer in telling our kids the truth all of the time. Believe me, the holiday is much better spent focusing completely on Christ, and encouraging your children to be the givers, then to teach them to ask for things from a guy who doesn't really exist and then having to explain to them later why you lied to them. I want my kids to believe me when I tell them Christ is real.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP