2.10.2011

toilet training SOS

Adelyn isn't even remotely interested in toilet training. But I am. :)
I called my mom today for some help/ideas...she trained 4 of us PLUS countless daycare kids for the last 20 years...so I'd say she has a bit of experience :)
She said let her pick out a potty/small toilet seat, make a habit of practicing sitting on the potty at regular times...even read while she's on the potty...the longer she's on there, the more there is of a chance that she'll pee at some point :) Once you're training, the diapers are gone. I'm totally with her on this. I think once Addy pees the bed a couple of times, she'll realize how annoying it is to be wet and woken up...so she'll stop :)
Anyway, today we went potty seat shopping. I didn't want a little pot for her because I've dealt with enough cleaning poo/pee at the hospital to last me a lifetime. I gave her the choice between Dora, Cars or Princess toilet seat. To my chagrin, she picked Princess. She held it the whole way home. I tried to get her all excited about trying her new potty seat.
We stripped down for a bath after supper and I kept saying "we need to sit on the potty before you take a bath". "Okay", she'd say. I set her on the seat. Holy tantrum. She HATED it. My daughter is terrified of the toilet.
This isn't the first time she's done this. A few weeks back, she was acting like she needed to do a #2 in her diaper. I depantsed her and stuck her on the toilet seat and she FREAKED out. I was hoping time would heal that experience wound, but apparently not.
While my mom has more experience potty training than Michelle Duggar (for reference, check out 19 Kids and Counting)....okay, maybe not that much? But pretty close :)....I need more mama advice :)
I know alot of you out there are preparing to train or have recently trained your kiddos.
How did it go? How did you prepare? Was your kid terrified of the toilet too??
Help me out here! :)

4 comments:

Marti Friday, February 11, 2011 at 9:25:00 AM PST  

Try turning her around on the toilet (sitting backwards) so she has something to hold on to. This worked with one of mine that was a bit scared of sitting on the potty.

Unknown Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 2:56:00 AM PST  

I know you don't want to use the little potty, but it worked great for my girls. They would always wait until the last minute...too long to get to the bathroom anyway, and the little potty was right there..not scary or big and only theirs. I don't know! It worked for us! Plus, beware of automatic toilets in the stores. They TERRIFIED Sophie! ;) Best of luck to you guys. Potty training can be hard!

Anonymous,  Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 11:18:00 AM PST  

Use a little potty and put a paper coffee filter in it. When she does poop in the little potty, the coffee filter will catch it. You'll just have to take the coffee filter out and flush it.

Anonymous,  Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 8:24:00 AM PST  

our 2 year old was also terrified of the big potty, but i didn't want to buy the little pot for him. We started giving him M&Ms when he sat on the potty and now he ASKS to sit on the potty! :) worked like a charm...now we need to work on going "pee-pee" in the potty :) He'll sit on it all day, just won't "go"! :) good luck!

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP