5.02.2011

torn

I was talking to my mom this morning about the news of bin Laden's death. I was telling her about how the crowd in the stadium at the Mets game broke out into a cheer of "USA! USA! USA!" upon gradually hearing about his death.
She mentioned that part of her was happy they got him, but at the same time...
I said that at first I was glad.....but then I got this pit in my stomach....because you can't doubt where he is now....

Scripture describes hell as the following:

Matthew 13:50 “furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth”

Mark 9:48 “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched”
Revelation 14:10 “he will be tormented with fire and brimstone”
Revelation 14:11 “the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night”

Revelation 20:14 “This is the second death, the lake of fire”
Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”

How scary. It just makes me sick with the thought of anyone going there.
How could I be glad about anyone going there?? Regardless of how wicked their heart is or how evil their deeds in their life were?? Christ came to save all. You, me and bin Laden. We are all sinners. We all fall short of the glory of God. I don't deserve God's grace and mercy nor Christ's sacrifice any more than you do. No one is better than another...no matter how hard you "try".
I'm still angry. Angry for the deaths he caused. Angry for the families who grieve the loss of their loved ones. Angry for his hate towards our awesome country.
Part of me is still happy he is gone. Part of me is still sick with the thought of hell. Part of me wants to respond in the way that we are called to as Christians.
My brother in law, Kyle, is a theology professor at Bethel and always does a great job putting things like this into words. He wrote a blog about not taking pleasure in the death of the wicked. Read it. It's good. :)

0 comments:

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP